Tuesday 8 August 2017

Review - Sarah's Doo-Wop Dos Hair Turbans

Hello ladies,

An Introduction

It's Zoe here aka The Vintage Giraffe , a new Belle and content contributor for this here blog of pink-ness! Most of my posts will be written on behalf of The British Belles so I'll mostly be using "we/our", you'll know a post is by me by the signature which will read "Love, the VG xXx".

The British Belles have been very busy in the last couple of weeks organising our 3rd super successful Pinup Picnic event, appointing 5 new Belles to our ranks (keep an eye out for an upcoming blog post), as well as lots of planning to give you all some fantastic content and mini meet-ups in the next few months. If you have a venue idea for a mini meet-up please do contact us as we'd love to reach as many of you as possible!

The Review

Sarah's Doo-Wop Dos Hairbands and Turbans are very well established products in our ever-stylish community and for good reason as this review will discuss.

Vintage Style Turban/Headband Style
The first product we'll review is the Vintage Style Turban/Headband Style. The headbands are made to order with a few options for knot shape:


Photo courtesy of Sarah's Etsy page


My one is in a Pumpkin Orange or Sienna colour jersey and "wrapped" knot style, which I will refer to as a diadem.

 


I am a frequent wearer of turbans, hair wraps and scarves myself whether in cultural or historical styles. So, having a "ready-made" turban has always been appealing to me; add the fact that they're available in many colours and styles and this turban gets a YASSSS from me!




Technically this hairband is very well made - despite the permanent stitches there is room in the stretchy jersey material to adapt the diadem to your preferred shape and style. The jersey material makes wearing this turban very comfortable and breathable for those rare warm days! Also, the turbans/headbands are hand washable which is perfect for me, as I have regular batches of hand-washing what with delicate vintage pieces and hand-wash only reproduction pieces.


Summer Headband Turban
The second product is a custom knot version of the Summer Headband Turban in Pale Yellow Stripe.




I strongly recommend grabbing one of these summer headbands while the material stock last, they're so bright and perfect for any holidays you have planned, whether it be Cornwall or La Riviera!


Photo Courtesy of Sarah's Etsy page


I would suggest the Summer Hairband as a good starter point for those who perhaps have worn scarves as hairbands for a "landgirl" or "rockabilly" look but aren't ready to go full turban yet as this hairband is an easy read-to-wear version. This hairband, as with the Vintage Style Turban/Headband, is very well stitched and is laid out in a way that can be adjusted to suit your want for each use. For example, as I have an oval shaped face and the knot is flat I decided to wear mine to the side.




It's worth mentioning here too that Sarah has made one-off custom turbans and hairbands using velvet or lurex materials and other patterns too. So do contact her if you'd like something specific for a special event or to match a favourite dress!

Concerns

My one concern is one of the current benefits: the stretch. I do worry that frequent stretching over my masses of hair and - what I perceive to be - large head, will stretch the fabric to the point that it doesn't sit on my head in a flattering way. I'm aware that this is a concern that won't be relevant for a while and perhaps you ladies have a solution for this?


 The Verdict

Go forth and purchase! We'd love to see you in your turbans/headbands, especially if you've had one custom made, so please do tag us in your photos on Instagram and Facebook!




I hope you enjoyed the review ladies; if you have a product you'd like us to review please contact us and feel free to pop us a comment below if you enjoyed the review and/or have any suggestions regarding the stretchy concern!


Until next time,


Love, the VG xXx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...