Saturday 4 November 2017

There's nothing Mental about Mental Health


In recent days there has been a lot of buzz around Mental Health and of course the importance of it.

Really it's about looking after yourself and putting yourself first. Which can sometimes be difficult as it's viewed as selfish, but you must throw away that stigma because to function and be able to help others you first need to make sure you are caring for yourself.

Mental Health affects so many people in the Pin Up / Rockabilly and vintage scene. I can't count how many people I have spoken to over the years who all suffer from mental health issue in one form or another. The most common I have found to be is anxiety.




The marvelous Chereeka better known as @cacaopapow on Instagram at our latest event (The Pin Up Picnic in the Park / bar) back in July staged a little Gillian Wearing inspired project for her blog. She bought along a whiteboard and markers (showing the true teacher inside of her) and approached lovely ladies (and I'm sure some gents) at our event to ask about anxiety.
She also has a wonderful post (HERE) that has ways to cope with anxiety and where to seek help. It's a great read and really really informative. 

Mental Health concerning the BB's 




Charlotte:

I have suffered with mental health issues for many, many years.
From anxiety (which I always find amusing as I run the events we hold and have so many people attend) to really low lows of depression. 

I also have boughts of loneliness - this is something we posted about the other day on our facebook to do with the elderly and as one of our lovely followers pointed out you don't have to be elderly to be lonely.

I feel very lucky to have a wonderful family and a few very close friends but sadly we all moved around the country and it's difficult to see each other now.

When we originally set up the BB's I felt elated, it was so nice to have a group of friends who enjoyed the same scene, clothes, music as myself. Who talked in a group chat on a daily basis and ladies to meet up with for a weekend or just for a drink or lunch.
Sadly when the group broke up due to other commitments, ladies changing their style and mind about the scene this all went with it. It was very unfortunate and also caused me to have quite a few lows. 

I believe a lot of the time you can not tell who is suffering with an invisible illness, loneliness, anxiety and depression can be destructive to anyone and it is easy to blame yourself. 

The best advise I have is to focus on the positive, try to put yourself out there and try new things.

Since moving in to my first house with my partner I've started dance lessons, it's only once a week but it gets me out, gets me learning something new and most of all I get to meet new people. This has been a really big deal for me and after those two hours of dancing I feel wonderful. I sometimes have to force myself to go and it can get close to 8pm and I think, no I don't want to talk to strangers or just feel awkward but when I manage to get he courage up to force myself to go by the end I feel silly for working myself up. 

I've also signed up to befriend an old person, you can do this in your spare time when it suits you through Age Concern. I have dedicated myself to once a fortnight currently to see how it goes. This can be a home visit or call just to make someone feel less alone and to give them something to look forward to.

If you would like information on this please let us know. 

And remember:

You are good enough

Don't feel bad for having a bad day, a bad week or a bad month it happens to the best of us 

Never feel alone in this



Lois:

I suffer from severe anxiety and I have done so for about two years now. I've always been a bit of a worrier, but it really kicked off about two years ago when I went to uni. I find it difficult to adjust to change, which I know is inevitable, but it was such a big change I just couldn't cope.

I have periods of depression as well, as I know many of you also do. Not 'Oh, I'm having a bad day', but 'I'm so inexplicably sad I can't even function'.


I've also been diagnosed with bulimia, which initially started as a way to relieve the anxiety (it made sense to me!). I didn't think it was that bad - I'm slim, but I'm not underweight so there's nothing wrong, right? It was my mum who helped me to see that I had a problem - you don't have to be a certain size or age to have an eating disorder. I looked fine, but I really wasn't.


Acknowledging that you have a problem and asking for help is a big deal, but it's so important. Never underestimate how powerful even just having someone to talk to can be.


I'm not saying it's easy to get help and I'm not saying that, when you get it, recovery is easy. It's not, as I'm sure so many of you will know. I still have so far to go, but I've come so far from where I was.


Appreciate the people you have in your life. Doing things for others, spending time with the people you love and being there for those who need you brings happiness to both you and them. The support of friends, family and my faith have been so important along my path of recovery and I'm so grateful for them.


And appreciate yourself as well! Do more of what you love and take care of yourself. I enjoy a variety of things: modelling; coffee with friends; bubblebaths; family holidays; attempting to dance ... just give things a go and do what makes yourself and others happy. You are strong for your perseverance and you've already come such a long way, so keep going!











2 comments:

  1. I use to suffer from anxiety, I was friends with a lot of judged mental people. And in return I thought that other people would judge me as harshly as they did. I was sometimes even afraid to walk outside because of it. But when I realized the people around me were toxic, I cut them off and I slowly started gaining my confidence back.

    And shortly after that I joined the pin-up community.

    Make sure the people around you are positive and focus on uplifting people instead of bringing them down.

    Sophia,
    www.thatpinup.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...